- Publisher: Reason Studios & Blamsoft
- Product: Expanse Hyperwave Synthesizer
- Version: 3.1.3-DECiBEL
- Format: Reason Rack Extension
- Requirements: You need R2R Reason release and TEAM R2R Reason Rack Extension Cache Builder
Blamsoft, creator of the VK-1 Viking and Zero Hybrid synthesizers, knows DSP and the Rack Extension SDK inside and out. eXode, maker of top selling refills, knows synthesis and sound design backwards and forwards. It’s a perfect team to bring you something big, a synth that pushes the Rack Extension platform to its ultimate potential. Introducing Expanse Hyperwave Synthesizer!
New in version 3.0
- A powerful envelope editor mode allows you to make your own envelope by adding, removing, and adjusting stages. It features modifier key combinations for advanced editing.
- You can now create custom wavetables using the envelope editor mode
- A spectral EQ is available for each oscillator independently. You can draw a curve the same way as with the envelopes, creating your own filter curve.
- Odd and Even harmonics mods adjust the harmonics of the waveform for interesting effects
- A Pluck mode uses Karplus-Strong synthesis to create a plucked string sound
- FM and RM are available from each of the oscillators including itself
- 50 presets that show off the new capabilities
Expanse is a modern wavetable synthesizer, with 67 high quality wavetables designed by eXode, and support for all Serum-compatible wavetables. But that is just the beginning. Advanced waveshaping, additive, and unison capabilities allow you to create thick sounds with just one oscillator. And there are three more where that came from, for sounds that are utterly enormous. Want more filters? Expanse has 32 filter modes in each of the two filters including the most famous topologies. In the modulation department, Expanse’s three LFOs offer 64 unique waveforms and the five graphical envelopes have a slick user interface and looping features. Six onboard effects let you stay “in the box” and allow for factory presets that are polished to perfection. To top it all off, Expanse features two sequencers that let you easily create gate and note or modulation patterns.
In version 2.0, wavetables in Expanse became a whole lot more powerful. You can load any Serum-compatible wavetable into Expanse. With literally thousands of Serum Wavetables available, the number of options is incredible. In addition to Serum-compatible files, Expanse will process any sample and extract a wavetable. This leads to quick creative experimentation. You can even go deeper with the import algorithm to accurately sample an oscillator from your favorite synth.
Factory Sound Bank
The extensive factory sound bank for Expanse was designed by leading Reason sound designers. Aiyn Zahev, eXode, Speo, Tom Pritchard, and Navi Retlav Studio all contribute their creative touch. The 725 included presets range from cutting edge EDM, to 80s new wave, to classic analog, and plenty in between. Whether you’re looking for inspiration, trying to find the right sound in a mix, or wanting a starting point for tweaking, there is a good chance you will find it here. Choose from plucks, lush pads, gritty bass, trance sequences, and plenty of epic leads to name a few.
The DSP algorithms in Expanse are industry leading, resulting in a rich, smooth tone. You would be hard pressed to find any audible aliasing in Expanse, the waveshaping algorithms are literally alias-free. Compare that to other synths you have used. The filters in Expanse are Zero Delay Feedback for ultimate analog realism. You can dial in quality vs CPU usage using switches on the back.
Expanse is not merely another synth to add to your collection, it will become a part of your workflow. You will find that things you were working hard to do with other synths come more easily with Expanse. Quickly drag to connect destinations in the Mod Matrix. The graphical envelopes and real time waveform display give you visual feedback. You can create full sounds with minimal paging. Expanse is fully equipped with the workflow enhancements enabled by SDK 2.5, including popup sub-groups and modifier key support. Expanse brings modern wavetable synthesis to the Reason rack, pushing the envelope of sound quality and usability. Expanse will soon become your go-to synth.
Expanse has numerous CV ins and outs for external control and modulation.
New in version 3.1.3
- Fixed crash with Reason 10.1 and Pluck mod
New in version 3.1
- Added chorus mode to phaser effect
New in version 2.1
- Note and CC Sequencer alt-click menus for creative pattern creation and manipulation
- Oscillator unison tuning modes for chord and octave generation
- Low CPU and high quality sound banks
- Two State Variable Peak filters
- AM filter
- CC available as scale in the LFOs and envelopes
- LFO display shift drag (fine control) and ctrl click (reset)
New in version 2.0
- Works with all Serum-compatible wavetables. This gives you access to thousands of wavetables available for Serum.
- You can now create a wavetable from any sample. Or sample an oscillator of your favorite synth.
- Copy/paste/reset now works for envelopes as well as oscillators using alt-click
- Envelope and additive engine displays support modifier keys for fine adjustment and resetting to default values
- Click-drag selection has been replaced with popup menus for all displays
- Mod Matrix menus now have sub-groups for quicker browsing