- Publisher: Softube
- Product: Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator
- Version: 2.5.9-R2R
- Formats: VST, VST3, AAX
- Requirements: Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10
With the 259e, the answer is — pretty twisted. A coveted dual oscillator module now available for Softube Modular, Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator is the first-ever officially licensed plug-in version of a Buchla product. While the unit can be used for traditional synth patches, its unusual inner workings makes Buchla 259e excel at metallic, cold, harsh, digital and screeching sounds.
How twisted can things get?
- The digital parts are ported from the hardware line by line, the wavetables byte by byte, and the analog parts are modeled component by component.
- The first-ever officially licensed Buchla plug-in.
- Perfect for screeching, harsh and digital sounds.
Have a listen
The first ever officially licensed software version
The Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator plug-in for Modular features all the digital waveshaping, aliasing noise and foldover frequencies of the original hardware.
Expand the possibilities
Enjoy the self-modifying, screeching, snarling responses from the original’s downright odd inner workings. The 259e is a unique addition to the Modular ecosystem.
What is a Twisted Waveform Generator anyways?
The 259e consists of two separate oscillators — Principal and Modulation — where Modulation can be used either to modulate the Principal oscillator or as a separate generator of audible notes. Furthermore, the sine wave generated by the Principal oscillator is simultaneously applied to two of the eight available waveshape tables. A morph voltage pans between the two tables and a warp voltage varies the amplitude of the sinusoidal (driving) waveform. Both these functions can be modulated by the Modulation oscillator.
Here’s where it gets really twisted
Three of the waveshape tables are actually not tables in the classical sense — they are simply portions of the 259e operating program, full of unpredictable noise and frequent silences. This is the innovative Mem Skew mode, possibly the most unique feature of the Buchla 259e. When these tables are selected, the FM controls are re-assigned to table scanning functions and the FM inputs become table modulators.
More than traditional sounds
To sum it up, while the Buchla 259e can certainly be used for more traditional sounds, it excels at creating otherworldly twisted digital sonic landscapes. Which is why it is one of the most coveted synth modules on the market.
Softube Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator in short
- Made for Modular, Softube’s Eurorack platform.
- The first-ever officially licensed Buchla plug-in
- Unique and desirable oscillator
- Perfect for screeching, harsh and digital sounds
- Can also be tamed to sound quite smooth and organic and morph smoothly between these softer sounds and the more in-your-face sounds
- The digital parts are ported from the hardware line by line, the wavetables byte by byte, and the analog parts are modeled component by component