- Publisher: Softube
- Product: Chandler Limited Zener Limiter
- Version: 2.5.9-R2R
- Formats: VST, VST3
- Requirements: Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10
Descended from the iconic limiters of Abbey Road Studios, the Chandler Limited® Zener Limiter is a legend in its own right. With the vibe of the vintage hardware used to capture Pink Floyd and The Beatles running through its veins, the Zener Limiter is a rock and roll blueblood—with an appealingly modern streak.
A British classic reincarnated
- An expertly emulated version of the Chandler Limited® Zener Limiter, fully-endorsed by the creator of the original hardware, Wade Goeke
- Big and punchy, with all the vintage vibe of the equipment used to record The Beatles and Pink Floyd
- A superb and versatile secret weapon of high-level engineers
In collaboration with Chandler Limited®, we proudly continue the legacy with the Zener Limiter plug-in. A true emulation of its forebearer, christened by Chandler Limited’s Wade Goeke himself, the Zener Limiter plug-in is a versatile, state-of-the-art limiter and compressor that stays true to its illustrious sonic roots.
Chandler Limited Zener Limiter highlights
- Expertly emulated and fully-endorsed by the creator of the original hardware, Wade Goeke
- The vintage vibe of the equipment used to record The Beatles and Pink Floyd
- Console 1 Ready: works as a native plug-in and in Softube Console 1, our mixing ecosystem.
- Superb versatility that makes it the secret weapon of high-level engineers and mixers
- Essential switches, such as Input Gain, THD, and Comp 1/Comp 2/Limit
- Plug-in exclusive features, such as Mid/Side Processing, External Sidechain, and Link Channels
- Also included in Zener-Bender.
Have a listen
Blessed by Chandler Limited® founder, Wade Goeke, the Zener Limiter plug-in embodies the heritage of the limiters that recorded Pink Floyd and The Beatles. That’s why we made sure that our apple fell close to the tree.
Add understated, vintage vibes to a track or thoroughly transform the tone, character, and transient behavior of a drum bus or room mic channels. The Zener Limiter plug-in is the most versatile member of your studio family.
Breaking the Mold
Input stage with variable impedance, THD mode, the different comp modes, the rare form of the attack and release—the exclusive features of the Zener Limiter plug-in make it a compressor without a twin.
The Chandler Limited® Zener Limiter is a rare breed. The construction and functionality are unique compared to other popular compressors. Like the legendary Abbey Road limiters, the Zener Limiter’s circuit employs zener diodes, which are notoriously challenging to employ. Softube expertly emulated the Zener Limiter’s entire circuit—including transformers, circuit nonlinearities, and germanium transistors. A painstaking, yet thoroughly satisfying endeavor, because this speedy, colorful limiter has personality to spare.
The input stage with variable impedance, the THD mode and the uncommon way it distorts when pushing the level. The Zener Limiter plug-in is truly one-of-a-kind. With the Input Gain toggle, you can drive the signal for more or less distortion, while the Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) toggle disengages the limiter’s threshold. The effect is a smooth, pleasing distortion that features a high-frequency bump caused by the discrete amplifiers and zener diode limiting circuit. This plug-in simply has no peer.
When it comes to tailoring the overall tone of the Zener Limiter, the Comp 1/Comp 2/Limit switch couldn’t be more critical. Both Comp 1 and Limit were originally designed to emulate the compressors of Abbey Road Studios, while Comp 2 gives a more modern response. While the Comp 1 is a 2:1 ratio with slower time constants and the Limit is super quick, Comp 2 places the limiter in the middle, giving you the compression curve of Comp 1 with the faster release of Limit.
The Second Coming
The Softube + Chandler Limited® Zener Limiter is truly its father’s son. But, like every good son, the plug-in strives to accomplish just that much more. The Zener Limiter plug-in has features you won’t find on dear old dad, like Mid/Side processing, External Sidechain, and Link Channels. Link the left and right channels in stereo mode, and the Mid and Side in Mid/Side Mode or use the External Sidechain to total change the behavior of the compressor and its parameters by including an external sound source as a sidechain. The special attributes of the Zener Limited plug-in give you unprecedented control.
Softube & Chandler: recipe to rock
You can’t rush perfection. If any sentiment captures the spirit of our relationship with Chandler Limited®, that’s it. Take two companies known for perfectionism, add in some beers, and bake for a decade. We invite you to take a look at the Zener-Bender and everything else we’ve been cooking up.
Chandler Limited Zener Limiter features
- 2 input modes, 3 compression modes and 1 THD mode.
- Plugin exclusive features: External Sidechain, M/S Processing and Channel Linking.
- The secret weapon of high-level engineers and mixers.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
No iLok Driver is required to run.R2R
Our release loads faster and uses less memory than original.