- Publisher: Softube
- Product: Summit Audio TLA-100A
- Version: 2.5.9-R2R
- Formats: VST, VST3
- Requirements: Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10
A studio essential for four decades and counting, this classic compressor is all about gentle, natural-sounding gain reduction, sublime leveling, and ease of use. Everything you put into the TLA-100A comes out the other side sounding big yet compact. It effortlessly keeps the dynamics of your material controlled, without strangling the sound.
- A careful modeling of a hardware classic found in every top-notch studio worldwide
- Upgraded with an extra panel full of modern features, such as Low Cut Filter, Saturation Knob, and Parallel Inject
- Easy to use, always. The original was a cinch, and the plug-in keeps it simple so you can focus on the performance
An exquisite emulation of the original 1980s hardware, the TLA-100A plug-in offers extras not previously available to the hardware user, such as a Low Cut filter, the Saturation knob, and Parallel Inject. The plug-in pluses take the TLA-100A to the next level while enshrining the warm, smooth sound of the original.
Summit Audio TLA-100A highlights
- Officially licensed and created in partnership with Summit Audio
- Every single component expertly modeled
- Mild authority with which to control your audio dynamics
- Extremely analog performance of frequencies, phase, distortion, attack, release, etc
- Modeled output distortion, easily controlled with the saturation knob.
- Extremely analog behavior of frequencies, phase, distortion, attack, release, etc.
- Built-in parallel compression
- Detector filtering (a Low Cut filter that’s switchable to signal input)
- Absurdly easy to use
- Modeled output distortion that’s easily controlled with the saturation knob
The TLA-100A behaves similarly on all types of material. Its transparency and strong-but-gentle grab of the sound source make it a popular choice for placing vocals and bass just where they need to be in the mix.
You can do magic
The TLA-100A is tailor-made for softening a spiky acoustic guitar that demands too much attention or for providing some glue on a drum bus or a full mix.
Debuted in the 1980s, the Summit Audio TLA-100A compressor has become a studio standard the world over. Softube partnered with Summit Audio to create a software version that is officially licensed and endorsed by the hardware designers. The plug-in holds on to the acclaimed personality and pleasant toastiness of the original—as well as the natural design of the controls and interface—all while keeping sound quality at the highest level possible. Just one reason why Summit Audio plug-ins are made exclusively by Softube.
Color by numbers
The Summit Audio TLA-100A works in a program dependent manner, meaning it does a lot of the thinking for you. Its success is due in large part to how tremendously easy it is to use. When modeling the original, we made sure to maintain all the components that make the TLA-100A so simple and smooth. It’s practically impossible to make it sound bad. Although, it will give you some soft and warm distortion if you drive it super hard.
We wouldn’t be Softube if we didn’t squeeze in some features that make the software version a little more robust than the original TLA-100A. Peep the lower panel and you’ll find all the additions, including a Saturation Knob that lets you blend just the right amount of distortion into your signal, a Low Cut filter to flawlessly carve compression, and Parallel Inject that’s practically made for drum bus or mix bus.
Video: The Beauty of Simplicity with the TLA-100A
In nature, people speak of the beauty of simplicity. In the case of the TLA-100A, Summit Audio captures a natural sound with their one knob gain reduction compressor. While the controls are simple, the character that this compressor imparts on your sound is always one of beauty, while allowing you to focus on exactly how much control you want over your dynamics and warm tube saturation. Balance a vocal in the mix, gently tame guitars, or add gentle distortion to widen what would otherwise be a thin sounding element of your mix.
Sometimes we require an entire toolkit to make things work. But other times the most simple adjustment to our music can retain a natural sound and bring a lush sound that no amount of hard work could ever achieve.