- Publisher: XILS-lab
- Product: XILS 5000
- Version: 1.0.6-R2R
- Formats: VST, AAX
- Requirements: Windows 7 or higher
XILS 5000 Vocoder is The Organic Vocoder, First and Last step for Vocoding.
A Legend is Reborn!
Inspired by the EMS Flagship Vocoder ( EMS 5000 -1976-) , XILS-lab used the knowledge acquired during the creation of the emulation of both the VCS3 synthesizer and the VP300 VocoderPlus to develop the XILS 5000 Vocoder Model
SAY IT WITH MUSIC
A Vocoder is a synthesizer that accepts an external sound source, a musical instrument or prerecorded signal, so that you can process it, with or without the keyboard, into a huge variety of sounds.
Human voice, the most variable sound of all, can be fed into the Vocoder, so that you can alter its pitch, Tone, Vibrato, and all its characteristics, allowing you to synthetize a Choir from a single voice, or to create melodies from ordinary speech.
You can also process Drums, percussive elements, or Guitars and… every kind of synthesizer as well, to breathe some analog life into them, or completely reshape them. You can even derive pure synth patterns from… drumloops! Everything is possible!
XILS 5000 Vocoder
Clarity, Purity: The XILS Vocoder 5000 emulates the sophisticated filtering techniques and incredibly complex circuitry of its analog counterpart to achieve the same organic sound, precision and… clarity.
Easy to use for beginners, yet incredibly powerful for Veterans: The user interface offers a standard single panel view. Everything is there, right in front of you, with a great number of presets to get you started. Should you want, or need, to go deeper, the Logo Center Panel will switch to a vast selection of advanced panels displaying the advanced parameters of the XILS Vocoder 5000 module you wish to explore and experiment with. And there are dozens of advanced parameters, for your joy.
Back to the 21st Century: Because it’s from XILS-lab, it offers many advanced features that its ancestor could not have offered at that time: the number of Bands, Filter types, Filter’s Emphasis and Emphasis ponderation, more Slew Rate mods, more Freeze mods, 2 LFOs (Original had none), Detailed FM and PWM, more Oscillator Waveforms, an improved Input detector (Sibilants), Gate input etc., etc.
You can also populate the Matrix by freely drawing lines, and it has its own presets. (This is very useful once you’ve found the perfect template for a certain voice.)
A Vocoder, What is this ?
A Vocoder is an effect that takes two input signals and combines them to create one output signal. The first signal is called the Modulator, and the second is called the Carrier.
Typically, vocals are used as the modulator (But you can also use drums, percussive material, or any other musical signal, like an orchestra or a complete track).
A Synthesizer is used as a Carrier (Oscillator with different waveforms, that can be played with chords, white noise… or anything with a rich harmonic spectrum).
The Modulator signal is then split into several Frequency bands using a Bandpass Filter Bank. The same bank is used to split the Carrier signal. The levels detected in the modulator’s spectrum are then applied to the carrier spectrum, resulting in what we commonly know as “Robotic Voices”, when a vocoder is used in the simplest way.
For good results, understandable and clear synthetic voices, 22 bands are used in our legacy EMS 5000 model. (Less bands were also commonly found in other hw vocoders: 10, 12 bands in most limited budget-line units.)
The quality of a vocoder depends heavily on the following components:
- The filter bank: it must provide a good analysis spectrum. Each band must be equally measured (without any digital artifacts).
- The band level analysis: the way each band level is measured, and is the key factor for a hi-end vocoder with clarity and precision.
- The synthesis band modulation: the way each synthesis band gets modulated is also part of the vocoder sound, its quality and its smoothness.
- Synthesizer carrier: Without a good synthesizer feeding the vocoder’s filters, results will not be as good as expected.
The XILS Vocoder 5000 will fulfill all your expectations:
- The synthesizer sound is based on our acclaimed VCS 3 oscillator emulation (The original also had EMS oscillators of course)
- The 20 or 22 band filter bank is based on our analog-like, zero-delay behavior filters, ensuring that all bands are equally measured.
- Level analysis and spectrum followers were developed in our labs over many years and considered state of the art by all reviewers, as you can see in our VP-330 emulation.
Finally, something else that makes the XILS Vocoder 5000 incredibly powerful and versatile is the Matrix patch area: You can connect any band of the modulator to any band of the carrier. This means endless sound possibilities. No other Analog Vocoder will ever offer you more flexibility and freedom!
More than an extreme Vocoder
The XILS Vocoder 5000 is also a wonderful synthesis tool with a Voice/UnVoice detector, a Pitch Tracker and a Frequency Shifter which can make it fun to manipulate voices, drums, bass lines or anything!
You can even play it as a not-so-standard synthesizer. And you can mix all these signals along with the Vocoder output and dry signal in the most subtle, convenient and precise way: All the modules have their own set of parameters, including output levels.
The XILS Vocoder 5000 Modules and features in a glance
The XILS Vocoder 5000 provides all the modules of its legendary ancestor … And more :
- A Matrix Patch Area (22×22 or 20×20)
- Two Synthesizer cores
- Two oscillators per core, modeled on the EMS VCS3 oscillator
- One noise per core
- Two LFOs per core
- One VCA-ADSR per core
- One 22 band filter vocoder
- One 20 band filter vocoder
- Stereo analysis and synthesis available
- Side chain for adding an external audio source to the carrier
- A virtual keyboard, which can be saved within your presets
- A finely tweaked analog-like pitch tracker
- An input gate for reducing the noise
- A Voice/UnVoice detector
- A full output mixer applied to any of the internal audio paths
- A huge Frequency Shifter effect
- All parameters are MIDI controllable
- Presets for quickly showing-off the XILS Vocoder 5000 in all is glory